Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Midsummer Lovin'

June 23rd is the day that Denmark celebrates Midsummer's Eve -- or Sankt Hans aften (St. John's Eve.)

Varde, the small town we are living in now, had a bit of a party down by the river. The center of the event is a massive bonfire that was once believed to chase away evil spirits that were active in this time of receding daylight. Had I been a medicine man a few hundred years back, I would have spent the night harvesting my eleven potent healing herbs and spices to make my extra-special crispy chicken.

In the 16th century, the bonfire also became a convenient place to burn the witches that were more common in that time. In the 1920s, they started putting fake witches on the fire just for fun. Unfortunately, Varde didn't have a fake witch so the fire was just a fire. I found this rather disappointing. Sorry, witches of today.

The Lions Club (yes, it's here, too) was selling some beers and sodas and a pølse (sausage) man was on hand to sell hot dogs and buns. See, contrary to our inside-the-box view of the hot dog, in Denmark and elsewhere, it is common to get a hot dog delivered to you as a weiner and a bun -- two seperate entities. You pick up either with your fingers, dip into mustard and such, and eat. The meat never enters the bun. Even more bizarre to you Yankees: Some people order the bun and NO MEAT. I even saw one young lad eating two buns with mustard, mmm hmmm (slingblade) -- NO MEAT.

There was some music and a speech by the mayor. No idea what it was about but apparently he explained why they didn't have a witch. I doubt his reason would make sense to me. Once the speech concluded, townsfolk in wetsuits floated up the river with torches in hand. These torches then lit the fire.

I liked it -- people got together, had some fun, dranks some beers, ate some weiners, and watched the show. An easy-going, comfortable evening with friends and family -- a good night in Denmark.

Skål!







“My mother says I must not pass,
Too near that glass;
She is afraid that I will see,
A little witch that looks like me;
With a red mouth to whisper low,
The very thing I should not know”

-Sarah Morgan Bryant Piatt (American poet 1836-1919)

1 comment:

  1. "I like them French fried potaters."

    Torches and wetsuits? Guess you had to be there...

    ReplyDelete